Saturday 16 November 2013

Its The Little Things That Matter

Here is a little bit of 'need to know' so this all makes sense! I was born and raised in Suffolk, I didn't move to Yorkshire until 2007 when I met Nicola. I moved up on my own. I rarely get a chance to go down to see my friends and family, so when they come here it really is massive to me.

Now everyone is up to speed, I will begin! My mum and dad are coming up this week! Massive celebratory cheer! It will  only be the third time that they have actually seen Paige in the flesh. Its strange, but it always feels like the first time. I get so proud showing Paige off to my parents. It is the one thing in my life that makes me truly proud to say 'I did that, this is mine!' We skype most weekends with them and Paige seems to understand who they are now, but nothing beats watching my mum and dad give her a cuddle!

I know Nic understands its a big thing for me, I just don't think she realizes how big. I have trouble showing how I feel at the best of times. It is always a big change to our routine to accommodate them, but I see this as a change that is worth the sacrifice. I would do almost anything I could to guarantee that Paige could see them on an extremely regular basis. Its all I want in life, to see my mum and dad proud of me, proud of Paige.

I think it means so much to me when they are together because I know it was my actions that have resulted in them not really knowing their oldest grandchild. But now it has become one of them situations where if we did move down so my parents could see Paige more, somebody else would have to miss out. That's a decision we at some point I suppose will have to make. But for now its irrelevant. I'm just happy that they are coming!

Mark

4 comments:

  1. I take having my family around for granted far too regularrly. I mean for example today I went for a walk with mum and the boys and tomorrow im borrowing dads ladder ! These things I take as a given I couldn't imagine being away from them . Although sometimes I wish I was lol !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has its moments! Before Paige was here I loved having my space from them, but now it's about the bigger picture. Another upside is that Nic and I are more grateful for time we get together when Paige is with friends or other family. 28 years old and not ashamed to say I miss my mum....well maybe a little ashamed!!

      Delete
  2. I do know how much it means to you. Hopefully things will chance a little and we can see them more often Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. i dont skype near as much as you do with your parents mine are in germany and Finn gets to see them about 2 times a year if we fly over there for our long holidays twice a year. next year my mum is coming for the birth for 3 weeks and my dad for a long weekend over my 30th birthday too so that will be lovely for him (and me). Its hard to see how much my mum struggles when its time to say goodbye and i feel bad but i cant change the fact that we are in the UK and there so far away. hope you have a lovely time having your parents there!

    ReplyDelete